Skip to main content

we chat to Alan from Mingin and The Regent Bar


 

What is MIngin’ ?

Mingin’ is a house / trance / techno club-night hosted by myself, Alan Joy and Brian Dempster, my co-DJ for over 20 years. It is primarily an LGBT+ space but is open to everyone with the right attitude. We aim to be as inclusive as possible.

At the next Mingin’ on 9th July, we are joined for the first time by Lou Thomas & Lucky Luciano (from The Street) who will be serving up they’re own special brew of tunes in the back room of La Belle Angele.

 

Will it be a month night or just one off specials ?

Mingin’ originally ran monthly, then went to fortnightly, then back to monthly, depending on which venue we were using and which dates were available. Nowadays, we usually host Mingin’ twice a year – it takes me a long time to get over being out so late!

 

How has clubbing change since you 1st started JOY in 1993 ?

In the early 90’s, going to a club-night was like being part of a big family. There was a real sense of “belonging” and liberation on the dancefloor from all worldly cares. I don’t think the club scene today is quite so hedonistic.

 

As it JOY 30th Anniversary next year is there anything planned yet  ? 

30th – no plans yet but you never know…

 

what's your favourite thing about Edinburgh?

I love Edinburgh because it’s like a big village. Everywhere you go, you’re bound to bump into someone you know.

 

what's the most scottish thing you've ever done ?

In the early 90’s, I organised a coach trip from the old Blue Moon Café to Pride in London. We all wore kilts and danced the Gay Gordons on the march.

 


Fave bar? – It would be naughty of me to say The Regent! To tell you the truth, since lockdown I’ve been too busy rebuilding the business to go anywhere else. Sad but true.

 

Favourite record? – it’s from 1993 - by We Shape Space and the track is called “The Message (Anthem For The Enlightened)”. I always love playing it, it’s a fabulously uplifting tune and even includes bagpipes! It reminds me of so many good times and also of people who are no longer with us.

 

Both the UK and Scottish governments promise a lot of help to the arts, bars and clubland do you think they did a good job ?

 The business grants were essential to ensure survival. Of course, it would have been wonderful to have received even more financial help but it was a difficult time for everyone. The furlough scheme meant that I didn’t have to make anyone redundant. I also had a very welcome rent reduction on The Regent from my landlords, Punch Pubs.

 

Did you start any new hobbies during lockdown?

 I’d always wanted to find out the history of The Regent and the very fancy tenement block that it occupies so, with a bit of time on my hands, I started delving, writing any information I found on little scraps of paper. Now that we’re open again, I fear that those little nuggets of information will stay that way.

 

First great piece of advice you were given ?

 I was told to always try to live your life in a way that means you never look back and say “I wish I’d done that.”