Skip to main content

James Barr and Dan Hudson, hosts of A Gay and a NonGay podcast

Interview with James Barr and Dan Hudson, hosts of A Gay and a NonGay podcast


We had a chat with James Barr (gay) and Dan Hudson (nongay), hosts of the UK’s biggest LGBTQ+ award-winning podcast A Gay and A NonGay, who will be taking a live version of their much-loved show on a UK tour in September after the dates were changed from March. 
During the lockdown, they are still posting new episodes for your enjoyment. https://www.gaynongay.com/podcast 

****

Hi both, can you tell us a bit about how the podcast started and why you wanted to create it?

Dan: My girlfriend Talia moved abroad and suggested that I look after her gay friend while she was away! 
James: I wasn’t really into it at first, because I mean, who wants to hang out with a straight man?! 

It’s since grown into an award-winning podcast with Radio Times calling it “one of the most fundamentally kind and funny podcasts in Britain” – how does it feel to be “podcast famous”? 

Dan: It’s completely bizarre, we get recognised a lot if we’re together in LGBTQ+ spaces and whilst that’s strange enough - I’ve been recognised in rock bars and even Waitrose when I’m by myself and it’s just totally surreal. 
James: I was chatting up a guy in Miami and out of nowhere he admitted that he was only flirting with me because he’d heard the podcast.

And now it’s going on the road - what are you most looking forward to about this tour? 

Dan: We get a tonne of e-mails from listeners all over the UK and at our live shows we get to meet them in person - and they get to meet each other. We’ve built up a community of listeners and it’s stunning to see the impact we’ve had on people.
James: I think it’s really important to laugh at our differences so that we can come together in friendship. Our live show is a really fun, loud and proud safe space to be yourself. 

James, you hail from Brighton and Dan, you’re from Birmingham – both of which are stops on the tour. What are you both most looking forward to about taking the live show to your hometown? Is there any particular that you love about going home? Will your mum come and see the show? Will you have familiar faces in the audience?

Dan: A lot of people who I haven’t seen in years have reached out saying they’re coming to the Birmingham show, so I’m mainly looking forward to catching up with some old friends and having a laugh. I haven't done a gig in Birmingham since playing in rock bands when I was 16!
James: Luckily, Dan won’t be playing a rock gig in Birmingham ever again either. I’m super excited to play Brighton, I grew up gay on the south coast and I’m really looking forward to seeing all my exes in the crowd. My mum has said she’s coming but I’m not sure that all of the content is safe. I’ll be really emotional opening our tour in Brighton.


You have a variety of different guests lined up to join you at various stops on the podcast tour – how do you choose your guests?

James: We’ve picked a bunch of some of our favourite people from around the U.K for this tour. People that have changed representation for LGBTQ+ people across the country. From Trans author and activist Juno Dawson in Brighton to the incredible YShee black in Birmingham; a drag queen that regularly reads inclusive fairytales to children. We’re also meeting Divina De Campo from RuPaul’s Drag Race (a Frock Destroyer), and Sophie Anderson (a Cock Destroyer) to chat about sexual liberation. We hope that our tour covers a whole spectrum of conversations not heard in mainstream media and continues our journey in inspiring our listeners to live their best lives.

Who would be your dream guest to have on a gay and a nongay?

Dan: I’m obsessed with American politics, so I think it’d have to be Barack Obama. 
James: Michelle Obama please, but also Jade from Little Mix. Sorry Dan, but she’s a way better ally than you.

What has been your most interesting and fun podcast or live show to date?

Dan: Last year we had Megan Phelps-Roper join us - she used to be in the Westboro Baptist Church which was a homophobic group that used to protest funerals with ‘God Hates Fags’ signs. She left the church, was disowned by her family in the process, and it was just a fascinating interview that could have gone on for hours. Megan apologised for hurting the LGBTQ+ community in our podcast and the reaction from our listeners was amazing.
James: We also came face to face with a Gay Conversion therapist in Northern Ireland last year, it was pretty intense but so important. My favourite live show has definitely been the time Suzi Ruffell and I played Bigotry Bingo! 

If you couldn’t be the hosts of the UK’s biggest LGBTQ+ podcast, what would your dream job be? 

Dan: Outside of the podcast I work as a freelance producer for BBC Radio 1 and that’s as dream job territory as it gets really. So, to be able to do that AND A Gay And A NonGay is just fantastic.
James: I’d like to work at the Disney Store, or dress up as a Disney princess at Disney World. I can’t think of anything more amazing than bringing happiness to others, and if I get to dress up as Belle, I could date Gaston! Daddy.

***

For more information about the podcast, and tickets to the live shows, visit: www.gaynongay.com