Skip to main content

Celebrity Best Home Cook 2021 starts tonight and one of the contestant is Gareth Thomas

 Hello Gareth, how does your background and experience help you in the kitchen?

On the rugby pitch of course you have to be balanced on your feet, which helps in a fast paced kitchen when you’re moving constantly. Also, I can pass food around the kitchen with both left and right hand, which is a surprising one, but incredibly helpful!

What is your home cooked signature dish?

I love making Glamorgan sausages, which is the most traditional Welsh dish that I know and one I remember trying as a young kid. It’s a Welsh vegetarian sausage made from cheese, leeks and breadcrumbs.

What is your earliest memory of home cooking - who was it with, and what did you make?

I remember making beans on toast for my husband Stephen and still managed to somehow mess it up and get in a panic! I burnt the toast and forgot to do the washing up.

What can viewers look forward to from you in this competition?

The fact that I will try anything, I don’t stay in my comfort zone and I’m always prepared to go the extra mile.

Who is the most famous person you’ve cooked for, and what did you make?

I once prepared a cheese and pickle sandwich for Christian Louboutin, does that count?

Tell us about your best maverick ingredient/something new perhaps?

I’ve recently began to appreciate the importance of a good quality olive oil - I like it all over my food



If you were made of three ingredients, what would they be and why?

I’d be made up of sugar, water and flavouring, the same three ingredients that make a stick of rock. I’m tough and hard on the exterior, but my interior tells a story.

Are you here to win, and if so, what tricks do you have up your chef’s sleeve - any secret ingredients or tips you can give away to see off your competition?

No, I know my limitations but I also know how to compete so will give my best.

Are you a calm chef or someone who gets hot under the collar in the kitchen?

I’m calm in my own kitchen but I’ve never cooked in any other environment so I have no idea how I will cope, it could be a triumph but it might be a disaster!