Skip to main content

J.P. Jackson reviews Cliffhanger by Ulysses Grant Dietz

 


 It's been almost a week since I finished reading this book. I wanted time for it to settle in my head before I wrote the review, mainly because I cannot seem to find a good genre to slide it into - and that can make reviewing it a difficult task. Why? Certain genres have elements that we come to expect, and we tend to judge a book on how well they have adhered to those creative styles inherent in particular tropes.

This just broke the mould.

Xander and Alex are two young curators at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, who stumble upon an object of great curiosity. Through investigation and research, they discover the hidden meaning behind the museum piece, its connection to both of them, and learn about their own family history in the process. From this aspect alone I could classify this as a Cozy Mystery.

The way this book has been written is deliciously elegant, masterfully detailed, and had me immersed in the world of museum antiquities - a world, I assure you, I know nothing about. Yet Dietz managed to take me by the hand and effortlessly show me what it's like to receive a donated piece worthy of being housed in a museum, the immense amount of detail that goes into the research and description of said object, as well as the reverence shown to such priceless artifacts.

I'm sure some of you are thinking - how boring - and yet it totally wasn't! Dietz managed to weave a mysterious paranormal theme throughout this novel that kept you turning the pages wondering what was going to happen next. And the way the 'magic' happens to the characters, and is accepted by others in the story, along with the high level of writing skill from Dietz would have me place this work in the Magic Realism category.

There's a very sweet and natural growth of a relationship between the two main characters. I hesitate to say that this would be a Paranormal Romance, as the relationship, although important, wasn't the driving force behind the plot - and yet it is delightful and graceful - and the way both sets of families accept their sons' choices in romantic partners is heart-warming too.

There was one other element in this story that had me loving the entire work even more. Family history. I confess I don't know mine that well. My brother is the family historian and one day I'll have to pump him for all the glorious details. But I suspect I'm not alone in this lack of understanding regarding my roots, where I came from, and who the players were that went before me. What a massively important chunk of information I am missing from my life. This story emphasizes our interconnectedness and realization of who we are by acknowledging our own personal histories.

In short - this book puts family first. Despite sexual orientations, race, or class, the integrity of the family structure is the primary focus. Secondly, the lavish details of the rich upper-class families of New York are sure to put you in the mind of an American, modern-style, Downtown Abbey.

A highly recommended read.