Skip to main content

Allan Jay new single Drama Queen

                                                        


                                                              Tell us about your new single Drama Queen ?

I'm really excited for this release after everything everyone has been through with the pandemic this is camp , fun and a dance floor filler. A cover of the 2007 Denmark Eurovision entry and I'm so happy  the amazing 7th Heaven have produced and remixed my version. 

7th heaven have remixed for Kylie, Cher, Steps , Little Mix so you can imagine how great they are to work with. 

We have kept it close to the original but added a bit of Allan Jay / dance mix to it. 

The video has many drag queens who was the biggest drama queen on the shoot?

Are you trying to get me in trouble? Lol I'd love to mention them all .. they are all fanatic acts and most work across the UK .. we have the legendary Dave Lynn who has appeared on our screens many times in coronation street , birds of a feather and was in "Beautiful Thing". Award winning Miss Jason also in the video , our very own Scottish queens Cilla Slack and Lilly Manogue of course form the  Planet Bar and many more amazing drag artists. 

How did it end up been used in "Maisie - Britians oldest drag artist” ?

I have known Maisie for about 12 years now and have had the pleasure of working with David Raven, the producer of the documentary Lee Cooper owns Proper Charlie productions who produced my music video 'Breaking my Heart' with the queen of rave ... Rozalla. 

Lee approached me , myself  and my management and pr thought be great to be part of it. 

Maisie has been performing as a drag artist for over 50 years and its great that they are showcases a big part of history. 87 and still performing on the LGBTQ + scene.

Now we seem to be coming out of lockdown where are you most looking forward to playing?

Sadly so many events, festivals and prides have been moved cancelled and change that its been very hard to get excited or look forward to events as every time we do they are moved... I'm not ment to say but there is a certain Pride event that happens abroad in Nov that im ment to be on the main stage for with a crowd of thousands so myself and my dancers are really looking for to that and fingers crossed it goes ahead. 

Both the UK and Scottish government promised a lot of help to the arts and clubland do you think they did a good job ?

In a word NO ... 

I originally trained and worked in musical theatre, I've work as a presenter in television and as you know for the past nearly 10 years been working with various record labels , producers and writers on the dance music scene..  this is all i have ever done, i trained in my industry and have only ever work in this industry and the government sadly a bit like hospitality have left us at the bottom of any list.. they have put restrictions into place that prevents events, gigs, shows, festivals happening yet allow sports events to have as many there as they want. 

We have been unfairly treated and sadly they are still not doing more to help. 


Did you start any new hobbies during lockdown?

I didnt start anything new but I did do a lot more exercise ... my little Ollie the chihuahua is small but mighty and loves to go long walks. 

I live on the harbourside in Irvine and its near the beach so walked every day..  rain, sun , wind , snow we were there lol. 

Will the gorgeous Ollie make an appearance in future videos?

Well I have been working with American label Moore music and i have recorded a few vocals for some projects with them. 

We had a camera crew in with us between first and second lockdown when ollie was tiny and we are using some of the footage for one of the video so that will be his first appearance. Im sure there will be many more though ha ha. 

In Drama Queen we have Miss Jasons lovely little chihuahua Chester who makes a few appearances. 

Do you think you would have done better at Eurovision with this song than what we sent?

I think James Newman is immensely talented and i really like the song, for me i would of liked the staging a bit more dynamic but i think he was great and that just me and you know my gigs are full on with my dancers. 

I would love to represent the UK for Eurovision. 

I have been submitted 3 times and sadly nothing came of it. The last Scottish person to represent the UK was Scott Fitzgerald in 1988 who lost but 1 point to Celion Dion. He came 2nd. So maybe we start a wee campaign AJ for Eurovision 2020??? Lol what do you think? 

I do think that Eurovision has changed a lot and i don't think 0 points was a reflection of James or the song as i said he is an immensely talented man in my opinion. 



Drama Queen will be released the first week in July and will be available on all digital platforms. Please check out Allan Jay, for all release information. 

www.allanjay.com