Skip to main content

Aidan Sadler talk to us about their 5 Star (from us) show Tropicana



 


What is your fringe show about ?

Tropicana is a very current expression of myself and who I am as a person today. It feels very correct that I'm coming back to my cabaret roots for my fringe debut! I explore my gender, sexuality, my mental health - all whilst telling jokes and being an idiot! Much like a lot of performers I've had nothing but time to work and perfect the show over the last year!

How many times have you performed at the fringe?
This will be my debut! A great year for firsts! Twenty... Twenty... Firsts!

What's your most memorable moment from the show?
We've been working on the show for the better part of 8 months intensely and it's had so many happy moments. I'd have to say the most memorable moment so far was closing the last night of previews. The team was all absolutely knackered but we still insisted on going back to mine for a celebratory drink in the garden. We whacked out the guitars and had a little "kumbaya" moment at 2AM... My poor neighbours! But I couldn't keep it together, I love the team so much!

What is the worst thing about the fringe?
I must say when I first had this idea I hadn't quite anticipated the amount of paperwork that'd be involved... Who knew that staging a cabaret show required us to make sure audiences were safe and our performance was covid secure?! We're a very "grassroots" company so this is all very new to us! Also, why is everything in Edinburgh 20 minutes away! And why does Greggs shut at 4!?

How do you prepare for a performance?
2 shots and a packet of crisps! Kidding. I'm very old hat getting ready for a show - vocal warmups, improv exercises, staring in the mirror with existential dread - the usual!

What's your favourite thing about being  Edinburgh?
I know it's cliché but the city is absolutely breathtaking (and not in a London pollution kind of way like I'm used to!) We're staying in the new town and we've already met some friendly folks, seen some interesting street art, and been accosted by a local vagrant! I must admit I'm looking forward to being able to be a tourist for a few days after we've closed the show.

What's the most Scottish thing you've ever done?
I think the question should be who's the most Scottish thing I've ever done! Watch this space! And my show!

What's your favourite bar/cafe in Edinburgh? 
Kafe Kweer is a sober queer space in the heart of Edinburgh. As somebody who's sober (and has an unhealthy relationship with alcohol), it's nice that there's a place that isn't a club or a bar to meet like-minded queer folk. Also, the owner Oskar is an absolute treasure!

Who are you most looking forward to seeing?
Absolute Burlesque has been such a fabulous support throughout this process and their director, Sam is such a wonderful human being. They have years of experience and a wealth of knowledge and stories from the scene! I've been speaking with her for a few months now and I can't wait to finally see her do her thing! I've heard only good things!

Both the UK and Scottish governments promise a lot of help to the arts and clubland do you think they did a good job ? 
I can only vouch for the English government and personally the last year has been the hardest year of my life. Performers were given one months wages to last us around 4 months so it was really down to the wire! But as far as the Scottish Government is concerned I'm here, in one of the world's biggest arts festivals, with a show that's selling out - I really can't fault it!

Did you start any new hobbies during lockdown?
Sobriety! Getting better! Berocca! Tropicana!

Last book you read?
Fringe Survival Guide! And I'm halfway through Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, I'm looking forward to the bit where J.K. Rowling starts banning trans people from her chamber... of secrets

First great piece of advice you were given ?
I remember at the start of this process I asked a friend of mine who's a performing veteran what their advice would be for Fringe. She said... "Don't!" But in all seriousness there's a really cool quote from designer Esther Perbandt which is "Everything you want is on the other side of fear"

Last time you was starstruck ?
Every morning when I look in the mirror. It's because Nicola Sturgeon is standing behind me. Always watching.