Skip to main content

Betty Rose Royal from Best of Burlesque chats to us

 




What is your fringe show about ?

Best of Burlesque does exactly what it says, showcases the very best of burlesque talent at the Edinburgh Fringe but not only that, we also showcase many cabaret, variety and circus acts too. At a typical show you will see glittering showgirls, singers, magicians, circus acts, comedy etc. theres something for everyone! 


How many times have you performed at the fringe ?

We are lucky enough to have been running with Assembly at Edinburgh Fringe every year since 2012! 


What's your most memorable moment from the fringe?

There are too many to count! There is nothing like the atmosphere at fringe, its like another world where everyday is an adventure and anything can happen. 


What is the worst thing about the fringe?

It can be hard work. Performing on stage every night for 3 1/2 weeks can take its toll on you, you have to stay healthy, stay hydrated and pace yourself. Every show must be as good as the previous one so its important that you don't burn out half way through. 


How do you prepare for a performance ?

Preparing for fringe there are some extra steps I'll take as opposed to a one off performance as performing 25 nights in a row can really take its tole on you if you're not prepared. First I check over all my costumes for repairs, burlesque costumes get thrown around a lot so there is always beads needing stitched and seams getting frayed, its constant upkeep. I get eyelash extensions to save me fiddling with strip lashes every night, I make sure I have all the stage make up I'll need for the whole run to save me the risk of running out of something crucial half way through and then I just rehearse, rehearse rehearse to make sure my show is absolutely perfect. 


What's your favourite thing about being  Edinburgh?

Being from Glasgow my heart obviously belongs there but there is something about Edinburgh that is so magical. The castle, the cobble stones, the architecture, the whole city has such a beautiful connection to Scottish history. 


What's the most Scottish thing you've ever done ?

I'm born and bred in Glasgow so you name it I've done it. I eat haggis regularly, square sausage is my favourite, I've visited the Loch Ness monster, kicked up my heels at many a ceilidh and I'll even have a nibble of a deal fried mars bar now and again. 

What's your favourite bar/cafe in Edinburgh ?

There is nothing better sitting on the top floor of Harvey Nichols enjoying a glass of champagne while gazing over the beautiful view of the city. 


Who are you most looking forward to seeing?

I have a 5 year old so there days I'm mostly seeing kids shows during the day. 


Both the UK and Scottish government promise a lot of help to the arts and clubland do you think they did a good job ?

Unfortunately not. The entertainment industry has been decimated by the pandemic. Most artists we know have received little to no help from the government and have basically been left to help themselves. Its great that Fringe is running this year but it will only be at about 10% of what it usually is meaning that most people who work here every year and rely on this income are still not working. 


Did you start any new hobbies during lockdown?

Yes! I love gardening now. I would have never thought I'd be someone that loved plants but I got a couple to brighten up my house during the first lockdown and now my house and garden look like Jumanji! There is literally a plant of every surface in the house and the garden is bursting with flowers. Theres something about seeing things grow that is so therapeutic. 


Last book you read?

I'm currently reading Becoming Supernatural by Dr Joe Dispenza


First great piece of advice you were given ?

Don't worry about planning things too much in advance as plans will rarely work out the way you intend. Instead rely on following your heart and making the most of what feels right in the present moment. 


Last time you was starstruck ?

I met Rose McGowan on Princess Street during fringe 2019 and made a complete fool of myself. All I could say to her was, "I love you" 


Sum up your showing in 3 words.

Fresh, lively and sexy


Photos credit Vs Anchor Studio.