Skip to main content

Sam Lake that rare thing an Edinburgh resident doing a fringe show

                                               

What is your fringe show about ?

My show is called 'Cake', it's a stand-up comedy, and it's all about goal setting.


The show I would have done in 2020 was all about planning the ultimate well-attended wedding day. And for obvious reasons, my show this year is not about that.


Over the last year, sat inside with nothing to do. I got so obsessed with setting goals, planning out my days, making schedules, deadlines, just to try and stay focused and sane. And it all got a bit much. This show is me talking about that, what my goals were, why they were my goals, and what happens when we set goals for ourselves we don't achieve. But it's like...funny?


How many times have you performed at the fringe?


This will be the first time I've brought my own stand-up show to the fringe, but I've been coming nearly every year since I started comedy a few years back. I love the fringe, mostly because it led to me meeting my now husband.


what's your most memorable moment from the fringe?


It's a tossup between meeting my husband & having someone in the front row of my show do a line of cocaine off the back of his hand whilst I was on stage. (No, my husband and this man are not the same person)


What is the worst thing about the fringe?


A few things, it's not accessible enough, for both audiences and performers. It's also a big impact on the environment when you think about all the people that come to the city, all the paper flyers and posters that get made and then thrown away. It's not sustainable enough right now, and I'm hoping with my show this year and next to that I'm doing everything I can to make it a more sustainable fringe. Look up 'Staging Change'!


How do you prepare for a performance ?


Honestly, a good stretch. A nice loose spine and I'm ready to make people giggle.


What's your favourite thing about being in Edinburgh?


Well, I love Edinburgh so much that I married a Scotsman and moved here! Because I love him, not JUST the free accommodation it provided. I just think it's a great city, beautiful architecture, there are always cool things to do.


What's the most Scottish thing you've ever done ?


I started saying 'jag' instead of 'jab'? Also, I went to watch Scotland v England in the euros, in a Scottish pub, wearing a Scottish football shirt. I was more just trying to camoflague myself so no-one knew I was the big gay Englishman in the corner going 'yes...they certainly are kicking a ball aren't they?'


What's your favourite bar/cafe in Edinburgh ?


I mean this is actually neither of those things, but I love going to the arcade at fountain park! If I did have to pick a bar, I do love a martini tree by the teviot. Also, Shamoli's on the mile is lit.


Who are you most looking forward to seeing?


The following icons are on my watchlist: Catherine Bohart, Olga Koch, Josie Long, Chloe Petts, Jen Ives


Both the UK and Scottish governments promise a lot of help to the arts and clubland do you think they did a good job ?


HAH! Short answer no.


I'm very lucky because I have a day job, my husband has a day job, we could both work remotely, even if there was no more live work to do.

I think the past year has shown two things: 1. the adaptability comedians have to have. No more live shows? Fine, we'll do it on zoom. We'll start live streaming. We'll make sketches at home. We'll make ANOTHER podcast. 2. The government has not and continues to not put enough funding into the arts (and comedy was only recently considered an art, which meant before then there was almost no funding at all)



Did you start any new hobbies during lockdown?


I became a big ol' gamer. My husband and I welcomed a precious baby Playstation5, which has brought us much joy.


Last book you read?


Tom Allen's book 'No shame' is a must-read


First great piece of advice you were given?


Only accept advice from people you'd ask for advice yourself, not some random advice from some bloke at a show that you didn't ask for


Last time you was starstruck ?


Anytime I look in the mirror. JUST KIDDING. It was probably when I went to see Eleni Foureira in concert. She came second at Eurovision in 2018 for Cyprus. And in case I hadn't mentioned it, yes, I am gay.


Sum up your showing in 3 words




A bit camp.

https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/sam-lake-cakehttps://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/sam-lake-cake

Sam Lake: Cake
Pleasance Courtyard - Cabaret Bar - 18th & 21st Aug - 7PM

extra show added at the Monkey Barrel Aug 27th - 4.15PM