Skip to main content

Alice Rabbit Q&A with us about the fringe, life and drag



 

What is your fringe show about?

A. It's a showcase of Scottish Drag, Particularly what Edinburgh has to offer but we

also feature names from outside The Capital who have caught my eye during the pandemic. The main purpose is visibility for Scotlands Drag Scene, Two of our own Got on Television, Which we love. But where drag in England still got to work at some capacity, we got restrictions so I wanted to give those of us who were less fortunate during all this an opportunity to be seen and appreciated. 



How many times have you performed at the fringe?

i have done many guest spots at various fringe shows for the past 4 years and I was featured on Fringe at home Digital Show last year. This Year will be my first headline show to host thanks to Gilded Balloon. which I'm very excited about.


What's your most memorable moment from the fringe?

For me it would be my 1st fringe experience, as an Edinburgh Local, I actually didn't see shows all that much. the 1st one i saw was Frisky and Mannish, as a baby queen at the time seeing that show was very affirming and seeing them encouraged me to do things how I want to do it.


What is the worst thing about the fringe?

My only big criticism of the Fringe is that there is alot of opportunity for outside acts whereas in all my time performing I don't actually see a lot of Edinburgh performers get that same opportunity? granted that besides this one month in the year.. we are actually here all year round and I often find that is overlooked. 

 

How do you prepare for a performance?

The only prep iv ever had before a show is a drink and my pal running down the power-points of what the venue/client wants said and done on stage. it's not that deep to me.


What's your favourite thing about being in Edinburgh?

I love how our city can be a perfect mix of Medieval and Modern on a scenic level, I also really love how Edinburgh is a melting pot for people. it's never the same and never dull. 


What's the most Scottish thing you've ever done?

Making sure each generation after me has seen Chewing The Fat... 



What's your favourite bar/cafe in Edinburgh?

CC Blooms, It's home for myself and so many others who seek Community here.  It's where my show The Rabbit Hole Originated and I'm counting down the days when I can have it back.


Who are you most looking forward to seeing?

Myself... on posters... reviews...the telly...   first and foremost.. and of course the audience, I do what I do to brighten up their day and I cannot wait to feel their energy again.


Both the UK and Scottish governments promised a lot of help to the arts and clubland, do you think they did a good job?

It's a double-edged sword for me as some days I could be logical and say they're doing their best of I can be drained and say it's not been enough. what I will say is they did give funds to Creative Scotland who in turn were able to help me through some dark times and financial worries and I can't thank that organisation enough.


Did you start any new hobbies during lockdown?

idk if we could say hobbies but I did take up new habits.. before lockdown I had very low self-esteem out of drag and wouldn't walk around the city as much because of it. now I'm getting my 10k steps a day iv lost 2 stone and I feel more confident. and I reduced my alcohol intake FOR NOW.. canny promise nout!


Last book you read?

I don't read books, I read people... the last book I ever touched was Fantastic Mr Fox in high school, suppose it just ain't for me.


First great piece of advice you were given?

Work Hard, Put in the Time, Know your worth, and Never Settle.



Last time you were starstruck?

seeing Beth Ditto Live in Glasgow, I love her voice and the message she carries.


Sum up your showing in 3 words

Authentic, Bold and Punkrock 


https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on#q=%22Alice%20Rabbit's%20AYE-Cons%22



Cabaret and Variety (drag, lgbt)

  • MultiStory - Main Stage
  • 21:00
  •  Aug 7, 20-21
  • 1 hour
  • Suitability: 16+ (Guideline)
  • Country: United Kingdom - Scotland
  • Group: Michael J Fraser
  • Warnings and additional info: Strobe lighting, Strong language/swearing